Saturday, December 30, 2006

It's happened...

Saddam Hussein dead.

Update:
Two bloggers have written down almost exactly what I was thinking yesterday...
Skippy-San

However I can't help wondering if there were times that Saddam sat in his cell and wondered if there was one thing, just one thing he should have done differently. Obviously, in hindsight, there were a LOT of things he should have done differently, but if I had to boil it down to one thing, it would be this.

He should never have invaded Kuwait. Something tells me that deep in his mind he realized that this last year. If he had never given the order to invade Kuwait in 1990-the odds are pretty good he would still be alive and in power today.


and Rambling Hal

Seems there's a new trend on what to butcher the first day of Eid. Sheep no longer have to feel lonely about being sacrificed on this day. Starting now, they are joined by psychotic dictators as well.

They hanged Saddam at dawn on the first day of Eid....a time when mosques are ringing with the call for Eid prayer. I get goosebumps from the macabre-ness of it all.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Skippy-san said...

Thank you for reading my thoughts. I've been thinking about this for some time.

Its interesting how many of my fellow military and ex-military types think that saying that Saddam never should have invaded Kuwait somehow means that I approve of his brutality. And by extension, how that makes me a surrender monkey for not supporting the current iteration of the Iraq war.

I just don't get it.

Happy New Year! Be careful there in Manila-something tells me a Filipino New Year may be as dangerous as one spent in Naples..........

5:27 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

I am very confused about my own thoughts on the murder of Saddam. I am sorry but I can't see it as anything other than that. I have been for many years a fervent opponent of the death penalty. I can't see what it achieves in any positive sense. However deep down inside me there is just a tiny lingering feeling that he got what he deserved. If anything I feel it is a better outcome than a multi-year trial in The Hague followed by innumerable appeals but there is a certain savagery about the speed and celebratory nature of the murder. Not even a pretence of a fair trial.

The sad thing is that I don't suppose it will bring Iraq any closer to peace and a restoration of law and order.

We were driving home yesterday, the wife and I, and I said to her that I hoped she apprciated how lucky she and I are living in a peaceful society. There are flare ups and the occasional protest march but by and large Hong Kong feels very, very safe and at ease with itself. My wfe as a native HK-er sees no pressing need for democracy Western-style and I don't see much in the British or American systems to convince me that I want to have a similar set up here. A benevolent dictatorship, perhaps Singapore style, seems to work pretty well. Whatever the feelings on Saddam and his miserable and ignominious end, I wish Iraq a more peaceful and harmonious 2007.

2:34 pm  
Blogger Captain USpace said...

..
absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
admire brutal dictators


absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
mourn evil tyrants...
..

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home