Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Day Two...

Will have to start thinking of some more imaginative titles tomorrow...


So they didn't mean to make a political statement using the old tickets...not sure if GMA would agree.

Three things from reading the paper today....paper of choice is The Philippine Star....

firstly it seems that in The Philippines cellulite is not described as being dimpled like orange peel...but instead one suffers from "Papaya Thighs"....

secondly, I like the way that they have a page for text message comments....so much more off the cuff and to the point...maybe the SCMP could consider that...saves writing a whole letter and the succinctness of the comments means that the paper can accommodate so many more comments...

thirdly, in an article about some issues at Ninoy Aquino International Airport..it seems that there have been some problems with aircraft having steering issues whilst on the ground..apparently planes have to make a 180 degree turn whilst taxiing out to the runway...it seems that this turn has caused a few aircraft to stall... (Northwest, Korean Air and Philippine Airlines)...the article highlights the concerns these incidents are causing and what the airport authority is planning to do about it. The thing that bothered me about the article is that when the planes stall, this then causes the flight to be cancelled or delayed for a fair amount of time....the article refers to the flights as being 'ditched'...as in 'Yesterday's meeting was arranged after the ditching of a Manila-Vancouver-Las Vegas flight last Sunday afternoon'....now in my book...the only place planes are ever ditched is into the sea....somewhat akin to that wonderful China Airlines plane that skidded off Runway 13 into our fragrantly aromatic harbour....

This evening I was taken over to Greenbelt...a fantastic development of shops and restaurants and bars...seemed fairly under utilised...not sure if this is the norm, or because it is Tuesday or because of the plannedrally tomorrow...rumour has it that apparently 1 million people will be taking to the streets of Makati tomorrow...not sure how everyone know the attendance figures...wonder if they sent out invitations? And here's an odd coincidence...whilst discussing the above with one of my colleagues I asked if it was ever likely to descend into a riot...the conversation then led to the riots in HK in the '60s..my colleague didn't believe me that HK had ever seen anything as disorganised as a 'riot' let alone a whole period of them...so the coincidence came when I clicked over to Stefan & Dave and saw their article on the riots of the 60's....thanks for the back up!

The inferiority complex continues...was waiting for someone this evening....one of my colleagues came up to me and said..."Oh yes us Filipinos are terrible at keeping time...didn't anyone tell you"...with comments like that I just plead ignorance and smile.....it is almost as if people are looking to have the country knocked down....

Another odd evening of late night entertainment (Spike's going to love this...especially after his Bon Jovi comment a few weeks back!) ...listening to Roger Whittaker....The Last Farewell....there is a reason....an ex boyfriend and I once listened to the song on a plane together...many, many years ago...I was on my way to England...he to Canada...and so it became 'our song'!!! How sad...anyway we were chatting by MSN Messenger earlier and he reminded me!

There's a ship lies rigged and ready in the harbour
Tomorrow for old England she sails
Far away from your land of endless sunshine
To my land full of rainy skies and gales
And I shall be on board that ship tomorrow
Though my heart is full of tears at this farewell
For you are beautiful and I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell
For you are beautiful und I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell.
I heard there's a wicked war ablazing
And the taste of war I know so very well
Even now I see the foreign flag araising
Their guns on fire as we sailed into hell
I have no fear of death it brings no sorrow
But how bitter will be this last farewell
For you are beautiful and I have loved you dearly .
Though death and darkness gather all about me
And my ship be torn apart upon the sea
I shall smell again the fragrance of these islands
In the heaving waves that brought me once to thee
And should I return safe home again to England
I shall watch the English mist roll through the dell
For you are beautiful and I have loved you dearly

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave and Stefan said...

Dear Madame Chiang,

Thank you for the plug! The 1960s were not for the faint-hearted in Hong Kong...it must be a very interesting time to be in Manila.

3:48 pm  
Anonymous Thaddeus said...

This cannot work in fact, that is what I consider.
toyota dealerships | mattresses sale | photo graduation announcement

9:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home