Monday, June 13, 2005

Depends on your definition of 'help'....

When I first came to Hong Kong I had the pleasure of sharing an apartment in South Horizons with an English girl and her then boyfriend (now husband). At the time my friend was caught up the first throws of love and thought that everyone else in the vicinity should also be feeling the same way.

So, Christmas approaches...friend and boyfriend are off to Australia and I am left behind working....I get home late on Christmas Eve...must be about 1am and the phone rings....I answer it and a male voice says "So I hear you're lonely this Christmas?"...my response was along the lines of "WTF" and I hang up....I come home late on Christmas Day night and the phone rings....a different male voice speaks...along the same lines as the previous night although a little less creepy...so I venture a "How did you get this number?"...the response...."from your ad on the wall in Park N'Shop". So, bright and early next morning I trot downstairs and sure enough there on the notice board is a handwritten note from my dearest flatmate..

"Are you lonesome this Christmas...if so call XXXXXX on......"

So I wait until my friend comes back from her holidays and give her a hard time about it, then we have a laugh...end of story...or so I thought.

Fast forward a few years..actually about 6 years. By this point I am living in DB and have just come out of a 4 year relationship and am looking for some 'alone' time. I am sitting at home checking my e-mails and I get this e-mail from an Egyptian gentleman saying he had found my details on a pilot's dating website...he liked the sound of me and he would like to correspond...and to make it an even more attractive proposition he had attached some rather charming pictures of him in his pilot's uniform...him next to a plane, him in the cockpit, him on the stairs at the entrance to the plane. My first reaction was one of amusement.....and then bewilderment as to how he had got my details when I had never signed up to a pilot's dating site (actually if I had known there was one I might have done...but that's a different matter). So I called my ex-flatmate who was also living in DB with her husband and told her about my bizarre e-mail....as soon as I heard the snigger at the other end of the phone line...I realised I had been set up again....!!

Another few years down the line, by this time in a long-term relationship but my boyfriend was working overseas...I am standing in PNS in DB paying for my groceries when I notice a handwritten sign up on the board in my ex-flatmate's writing....I wondered what it was she was selling or looking for as she had not mentioned anything to me....oh, my naivety....yes, it was another of her messages trying to find my life-time partner on the PNS noticeboard...so I removed that and this time was not quite so 'amused' by it all.

So to 2003 when I returned to HK....I started to get odd e-mails from guys saying they had seen my notice on the AsiaXpat personals site.....this time I was wise to it and called her (by this time she was in Australia...luckily for her)...she admitted without a struggle with a vague promise that "this would be last time".

She is still a good friend (amazingly) and I am now God-mother to her daughter. As she says..."You can't say I didn't try and help you".

3 Comments:

Blogger Madame Chiang said...

I must say that the one that gave me the biggest laugh (afterwards) was the Egyptian pilot...the pictures were so intense and so carefully posed.

6:39 pm  
Blogger Mia said...

*Chuckle* Ah that reminds me of when my flat mate put an ad in 'Time Out', a London listing mag, on my behalf.
That was a very interesting month!

9:37 pm  
Anonymous John said...

Very effective material, thanks so much for this post.
laser eye surgery | Bachelors Of Science In Nursing | cheap auto insurance in california

9:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home