Saturday, June 11, 2005

Past, Future, Present Perfect.....

11 Weeks today my brother is getting married, one month yesterday I leave HK for Manila, one month today I start my new job...and so the countdowns go.....

As I sit here planning my diary for the next few weeks before I leave I realise that very rarely do I live in the present. I am constantly looking to the future counting down to my next adventure/holiday/big project at work/visitor etc etc and when I am not doing that I am chatting with friends about "when we did/went.....".

I very, very rarely sit back and look around and think about and enjoy the 'here and now', if I ever do in Hong Kong there are two locations for that...one is on the Star Ferry and the other is standing up on The Peak looking down on Hong Kong...actually there is one other....on a bright sunny morning when the sun is pouring through the window onto my bed, the room is well chilled and I wake up and stretch...that's a good 'here and now' moment!

Yesterday I was talking with a friend about how quickly life passes us by and I think half the reason for this (at least where I am concerned) is that I am constantly wishing myself into the future...when I was a young child..it was wishing towards Christmases and birthdays, as a teenager towards school holidays and leaving school, as an adult...new job, next holiday etc.

I must start to make a consious effort to enjoy 'right here and right now' and to savour the present before life does pass me by completely and I missed it.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Chiang said...

I couldn't agree more...and thank you!

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Joshua said...

It cannot have effect in actual fact, that is what I think.
free abortion clinics in maryland | flowers chicago delivery | nursing school in dallas

9:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home