Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Don't think that was the point of the article....

Am insanely busy at work at the moment...so not much time for drivel...

However, reading the Jordan Times this morning, there is a nice story about a Ramadan visit by the King and Queen to an old folks home...I have pasted the first half of the article below and highlighted two points that made me raise an eyebrow...

AMMAN — Senior citizens residing in the Golden Age Home were thrilled to receive a visit from Their Majesties King Abdullah and Queen Rania on Tuesday, saying it filled their hearts with happiness.

Hajj Nashaat, who has been at the home for four years, said the visit lifted him out of a state of depression he has been living through since his wife left him.

Almost four years ago, my wife took all my daughters and went abroad, where to, I do not know. After that I lived with my mother for a while, but decided to come to the society to preserve my honour. Since that time I have been in a state of depression, but the King and the Queen’s visit made me happy and I feel much better now,” 54-year-old Nashaat told The Jordan Times.

Another guest at the centre, Fathiyah Abdullah, had a request for the King: To give her grandson, who scored high marks in the Tawjihi exam, a job in the Public Security Department.

The 70-year-old has been a resident at the home for 10 years after she lost her husband and daughter when their house burnt to the ground. She told The Jordan Times she has a son who visits her once a month, adding that his wife prevented him from hosting her in their home.

After touring the home, run by the White Beds Society, King Abdullah instructed the concerned authorities to carry out maintenance work on the facility, which was established in 1971.


full article here (link won't last past the week)

1 Comments:

Blogger expat@large said...

My mother-in-law, sister-inlaw and wife all used to nurse in old peoples' homes. Some of their dinner-table tales are just so tragic.

A 1st-hand sad take on living in an old person's home written by an 'inmate' is Ellen Newton's This Bed My Centre. Now very hard to get.

Google search gold-mine: This is a nice speech by Australian writer John Marsden that mentions her book in passing.

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home