Saturday, July 08, 2006

Will the real Madame Chiang please stand up....?

Reading Indy's post about Keeping it real online....one sentence in particular struck me....

So how honest are you when you type? Is this the one place you are really you, or is it just a digital version of the masks we wear through life?

I always like to think of myself as portraying a very honest representation of who I am to everyone I meet....however, just recently a few comments that people have made to me (in RL) I realise that obviously I too wear a few masks....

The most recent comment when a colleague didn't want to show me a funny video he had received in an e-mail....for the simple reason that he thought I was a bit prudish.... Seriously, of all the words I have ever had used to describe me...prudish was never, ever one of them....quite the opposite really..... So I decided to clarify the description with someone I have worked with in the past...and although at first she laughed at the description (actually, snorted, is probably a better description of the noise she made!), she then said that the image I portray at work is definitely one that is very serious, reserved and not nearly as open minded as I am really....or alternatively she suggested I may have been on my best behaviour in a bid to impress the person concerned....

Either way it seems that even unintentionally I have been presenting a few different masks to the world...

1 Comments:

Blogger dgnyhk said...

I'm not convinced it's masks so much as we interpret certain environments and behave accordingly. I think most people wear theri prude face at work - it saves on all those bothersome harassment lawsuits.

Blogging is just the next level, it's an opportunity to create our own environment *and* how we behave. I don't think that makes it dishonest, it's just enjoying immersing oneself in another aspect of one's personality.

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home