Monday, August 21, 2006

Tie a yellow ribbon......

Whilst being driven through the dark streets of Manila the other night...I noticed that the trees down the central reservation of Roxas Boulevard had hundreds of yellow ribbons tied around them and in their branches (unfortunately being on a blind date I assumed that whipping out my camera for a few photos was not really the done thing!!)....

Today marks 23 years since the assassination of Ninoy Aquino on the tarmac at Manila International airport(later renamed Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA)). Aquino was returning home after years in exile, he was a threat to the then failing Marcos regime and as such 'someone' decided that Aquino had to be removed from the scene.

To welcome Aquino home, his supporters tied yellow ribbons around the city as a signal of support and welcome...

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telin' you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me
If you still want me

Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree


Aquino had an idea of what was coming; on the plane on the way home to Manila he said "My feeling is we all have to die sometime and if it's my fate to die by an assassin's bullet, so be it."

2 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Hang on a sec. You took your camera on a blind date??????? Is that in case he was really stunning/ugly that you wanted to prove it to friends who said dont do it?

5:25 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

No.....I always have my camera with me....it is that small that it fits into any handbag...or even as at the INXS concert can be tucked into the side of a slip of underwear!!!

However, that's a good point...maybe I should remember that for any future blind dates! Maybe I could tell him that I have to take a picture of him so I can remember which one he is!!!!

Chance would be a fine thing!

5:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home