Monday, February 06, 2006

How do I do it...

Since the age of about four, I have been conditioned in all things Islamic - how to behave in specific environments, what is suitable attire etc etc...and am particularly aware of the fact that I should not wander into any prayer areas, particularly with shoes on and an uncovered head...

Today I was up at Greenhills and wandered out of the main mall area into what can only be described as 'Fast Food Street'...the usual suspects - Greenwich, Pizza Hut, Jollibees etc...I was in search of an ATM...

I saw the banner advertising the bank and the ATM (with no location details or arrow!) and so asked the security guard....he pointed vaguely to the left...so I walked over to the left down a corridor...Now one thing I have learnt when in an unfamilar neighborhood is that you walk confidently and quickly....so I did...

It wasn't until I had wandered into this big hall area with a few white cotton clad rear ends in the air that I realised I had walked into a Muslim prayer room...as I quickly turned to leave I realised that I had a few people directly on my tail...it seems they had followed me down the corridor calling to me (which I had ignored!) to stop me...as in my determined walking I had marched past the little security desk where you pay to use the bathroom (men only) to scrub up for prayers!

I apologised profusely and scuttled out...past all the signs pointing to the "Prayer Room"!!!

Note to self...when going out wear either contacts or glasses!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home