Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Coincidence...

My reading material of choice these last two days has been Ghostwritten by David Mitchell...

The other day Glenzo made a comment on one of my posts referring to
Thornton Wilder's second novel The Bridge of San Luis Rey, published in 1927. Which I had never heard of until that comment

As I finished reading the book last night, I flipped back to the front pages (dedications and the like) which I normally skip...and found this quotation...

"...And I, who claim to know so much more, isn't it possible that even I have missed the very spring within the spring?
Some say we shall never know, and that to the Gods we are like the flies that the boys kill on summer day, on the contrary, that the very sparrows do not lose a feather that has not been brushed away by the fingers of God".


Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey


Something tells me that as soon as can lay my hands on a copy...that will go into my pile of books to read...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home