Thursday, October 20, 2005

One circus is just not enough...

Not content with the 'trying to find a home and move' circus, I have now added in the 'let's ship two cats' circus..

Friday 28th is d-day...they will arrive in true Cathay Pacific style and no doubt from the HKG side all will be smooth and simple...I've sent them before from HKG and it is remarkably easy...the fun and games will start when they arrive in Manila...actually correction, the fun and games started this morning...

I received a call from the CX office in Manila...

CX: "I am calling to confirm that you are willing to receive two live cats next Friday morning"
MC: "Yes, Live would be good"
CX: "Oh they will be live, but do you want them"
MC: "Yes please"

then followed some of the CX paperwork that had to be done and where their office is at NAIA...

then...

MC: "So what about customs, where do I go?"
CX: "Not sure about that"
MC: "So where will the cats be?"
CX: "Not sure"
MC: "OK I'll sort that out, what do I need to bring with me?"
CX: "Don't forget to bring your passport and money (the word money accompanied by a high pitched giggle)
MC: "How much money?
CX: "Don't know (this accompanied by full on laughter! - never a good sign)

So the CX staff give me a number to call at customs so I can find out...at customs they tell me where to come after the CX office and again tell me to bring my passport and money....

MC: "How much will this cost?"
Customs: "depends on the value of the animals...what value are they?"
MC: "To be honest they actually have no monetary value..they are street cats"
Customs: "So one thousand US dollars then?
MC: "Er no....probably about US$100 each (suddenly remembering when I left HKG for Jordan that I had 'faked' a bill for them at about HK500 each and also realising I had thrown away the fake bill thinking I wouldn't need it again)
Customs: "Not sure how much it will be, will need to sort that out when they arrive"
MC: "OK fine"

I put the phone down and realise that next Friday will be an 'interesting' day!

Chairman Mao and Chiang Kai-shek are literally street cats...they were pulled out of a garbage can behind Sogo in Causeway Bay....this has earned them the moniker "The Trash Can Kittens"...I can't help wondering if taking them back to Sogo and letting them go might not be such a bad option, but then I wouldn't be able to add another red part to this map that shows their travels so far....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home