Friday, September 09, 2005

Words that haunt me...

Whilst I was working in Jordan I had a fairly....actually, very, tempestuous (working) relationship with my General Manager....love/hate just doesn't begin to describe it....

I remember at the end of one of our more vicious arguments which included the usual shouting and name calling he said to me:

...."Remember this moment...because I want to tell you....you'll never have it as good again as you do here".....

I made no comment and threw him a fairly filthy look as I walked out the room....my thoughts as I returned to 'base' as we called our office....were along the lines of "That little shit hasn't a clue how desperate I am to get out of here and how wrong he was with that comment....it can only get better..."

Whilst I endured my rather mundane job in Hong Kong I remembered his comment, when I had dull days in Hong Kong I remembered his comment...when I discovered that my new job, although good and challenging, was not quite what I expected I remembered his comment...and now that I realise that all my colleagues disappear home to their families in the evenings I remember.....

Tonight it really came back to haunt....as I pottered around my office I had my iPod playing and one rather naff song came on..."Tragedy"....the more recent version...by Steps I think it is........my ex-flat mate and work colleague in Jordan used to go out exploring in Jordan at the weekends....she wouldn't drive so that was my job....her job was to organise the rather dodgy cassette player and to entertain....(map reading is not necessary in Jordan...see here, if you want to know what I mean!) One day the cassette player decided to fail...it was during the long Dead Sea-Amman climb....so we switched on the radio....and "Tragedy" was playing...immediately she launched into this whole series of dance moves (had to be seen to be believed in a car!!) I was laughing so much I had to pull over and stop.......we opened the car doors, music up loud and sat and watched as the sun set over the Dead Sea and the West Bank......

After that we managed to get hold of a cassette with the song on...and on long car trips...that was our entertainment.....I hadn't heard that song since I left Jordan in 2003.....until this evening...

And yes, loathe as I am to admit it.....and I would never admit it to him....my GM was right...since then I haven't had it so good....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home