Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wednesday....

I managed to open a bank account today...no mean feat given the hoops that HSBC wanted me to jump through to have the privilege of giving them my money to look after....rude, unhelpful and arrogant are just three words I would use to describe the customer service agents who I variously spoke to...so I gave up...and went elsewhere...obviously my patience levels are diminishing with age...when it took me three and a half hours to open my bank account with HSBC in Amman I just shrugged my shoulders and said "Inshallah"....no longer...

And the evening was spent with Spike, dinner at TGI Friday's and a little bookshopping after...talking with Spike was as interesting as last time...a person who lives a life as far removed as mine as is possible....the connections are there...Hong Kong, blogging and reading....but even within those similarities we are totally different! He brought me a little HKG care package...a copy of bc magazine and HK magazine....just a little touch of home and very much appreciated! After dinner we dropped into a book store and Spike introduced me to his latest read....so I picked up a copy, it's something totally different from what I normally read...so will see what I think! It was good to get out of work at a reasonable time and to leave 'my building'...third time this week....definitely progress....I just hope I didn't whinge too much over dinner about being in Manila....in summary...."You'd have to be mad to be a single, Caucasian female and move to Manila"!!....

I took the following picture of a row of recycled notebooks, in the bookstore after dinner....I felt it portrayed some of the idiosyncracies that one comes across in the Philippines....

4 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

Here is Gaiman's bio from the English paperback edition that I have, the bit I wanted to show you last night but not in the American edition:

Neil Gaiman is a messy-haired white male author trapped in the body of an identical white male author with perhaps even less-tidy hair. His books and comics have won many awards. He thanks you for your offer of a comb but does not believe it would do any good. Despite being English, he lives more in America than he does anywhere else in the world, and is currently somewhere in his mid-forties. He wrote this book especially for you.

9:29 am  
Blogger Indiana said...

They say 'white women' in Manila have the best DVD collections on the planet.

Is this true?

10:44 am  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

can't speak from experience as have only been here a few months...however it will probably ring true in relation to air miles!!!

11:19 am  
Anonymous Jesse said...

home decorating catalogs

summer movies 2011

calgary golf courses

laser hair removal in dallas

potato salad recipe

restaurant supply houston

bedroom furniture sets

how to remove window tint

how to install wood flooring

4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home