Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Fire in Hong Kong

A fire anywhere is frightening....a fire in Hong Kong terrifies me....tall buildings, crowded roads, blocked staircases....it makes me shudder.

Today being my day off I am running around doing my messages and this took me to Causeway Bay (iPod doctor)...as I hopped off the bus and walked past the fire station...the alarms started ringing and the doors swung open....I was halfway accross their forecourt so just tucked myself in against the wall and stood and watched the engines race out past me with the fire men getting into their kit in the back.....

Music on my iPod at the time...Ultravox...Reap the Wild Wind....it really fitted the moment...

As I watched them race off down the road I thought to myself - I wonder what the firemen are thinking.

For those of you who have been in HK for a while...you will remember the Garley Building fire....the scenes from that terrible fire haunt me when I see fire engines racing with their sirens going...

I saw the same team about five minutes later...they had reached their destination...outside Times Square....it seemed, fortunately, that whatever was the problem was under control and they packed up and left about 15 minutes later...

Firemen the world over.... I take my hat off to you........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home