Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The reason for being...

Last night I asked someone if they wrote a blog…their response gave me pause for thought…”Why write a blog? I don’t need to be heard”

It made me think…Do any of us ‘need’ to be heard…or do we ‘want’ to be heard? Is blogging just one great ego trip? Is it an addiction, a pass time or habit? Are some of us in it for the novel writing practice, the diary writing or to see if we can actually write something that people will read!

E@L wrote recently that he wrote because of all “the groupies who fling themselves at me”…

Mr Jones writes for his own “self-exploration”.

Mia blogs so she can connect.
Dave blogs to inform and as part of his business venture.

So a variety of reasons to blog….

For me (because blogging really is all about ‘me’) my blogging has passed through various stages…I started blogging after reading quite a few Hong Kong blogs for a while I thought I’d give it a whirl…then I started to enjoy the fact that I could just put anything out there and nobody knew who I was. However, that soon changed as I started to meet other bloggers in person, of course, even without thinking about it, I started to be more aware of what I was writing. And now, at this stage I know a few other bloggers either virtually or in reality and some of my ‘real life’ friends know that I blog (Hello Munich, Disco Bay and the Panama Canal!) so, whilst I am aware of what I write, and probably do not write as much personal stuff as I would if I were completely anonymous, I do for the most part, touch on what ever subject I want to.

I am fairly sure that I don't need to be heard....as to wanting to be heard...sometimes...othertimes my posts are more of a record of somethint that caught my eye on a certain day...or certain events or moods.

So, my fellow bloggers, do you need to be heard...or do you want to be heard?

11 Comments:

Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

Hi, MadameChiang. My blog started out on the promptings of my girlfriend. And it helped that I was already writing a column for a local paper to jumpstart the content. I guess it just so happened that a few other people were interested in what I had to say.

Now, it's not so much as wanting or needing to be heard as it is a writing exercise and an attempt at search engine optimization ;-) But at the same time, I've found that it helps as a platform to voice out on issues I feel strongly about. And, of course, there's a growing community that I feel greater kinship with.

4:31 am  
Blogger Seven Seas said...

Well, I started blogging after seing the blog a friend of mine writes. I don't really do it to be heard, honestly if no one read it I would still write it. For me it is just a place to vent abit, and to get out all those ideas that need a more concrete form. It is enjoyable to read others comments on my posts, even if they disagree with me.

Plus it is much cheaper than therepy :)

8:38 am  
Blogger Indiana said...

Some days I think I write simply because it has become habit, and I feel I have to write...other day's I lament the loss of total anonymity and the effect it has on my venting, but now I truly think I, somedays, write for the connection I get with the readers.

9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MC, since I am who you quoted, it wasnt so much a need to be heard or want to be heard, but why? It certainly isnt a need, of course it doesnt really matter, a blog serves various purposes but since you asked me do I blog or why dont I blog, I ask back, why blog? Not so much if its a need or want...

11:49 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Hi MC... Blogging, what a concept. I think blogging because it gives everyone a voice, and it allows us to connect with each other in a very 21st century way. Personally I blog for all the cute boys who leave comments asking what my cup size is, hehe, no just kidding. I blog because its a marvellously creative outlet for my thoughts, my actions and of-course my sanity. I love the idea of this blog title... might have to 'borrow' ..

12:29 pm  
Blogger ate said...

I have been writing diaries since I was 12. The blog is just a "cyberspace" equivalent.

Reason? I want my diaries and my blog to be source materials for history books a hundred years from now.

10:19 pm  
Blogger nunu'smum said...

Hello Madame C! Since I'm relatively new to this blogging experience, it still never ceases to amaze me. I stumbled upon it by accident and at first I jumped into what I saw as an opportunity to vent my frustrations. A bit like shouting all my pent up angst into what I thought was an empty void.It didn't take long before I was heard, and sympathised upon. It's opened my world up & today I still blog as a release, but I'm a lot more conscious now that people read what I say. (so, it's a lot more censored now! - believe it or not!) I still find it amazing and I'm sure it'll only get better...

3:46 am  
Blogger Scorpy said...

I used to write to vent and then I became a bit of a slave to it. Now it is more of a hobbie and a meeting place. I read the people I like and hopefully some will read mine. I jot down my thoughts and pass hurts away. It is my space :)

1:55 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

Thank you all for your comments....it's always interesting to hear why others exist in the blogosphere.

11:53 pm  
Blogger Skippy-san said...

I blog for a bunch of reasons. First it beats yelling at the TV. I also blog to say what I want to say and I hope people read it. Finally I blog to vent my disgust with what the US military is doing to itself these days. I gave too much of my life to it to not feel passionately about it.

I also blog to imagine what my life could be like!

8:35 pm  
Anonymous Lucas said...

Penticton real estate

new jersey attractions

breakfast ideas

new york regents

kelowna real estate listings

the meaning of names

double front doors

laser hair removal in dallas

Regina real estate

3:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home