Saturday, May 13, 2006

The kiss of death....

There have been a fair few blogging posts dedicated to either the art of kissing or a description of a special kiss....am not going to list them all here, just the first three that came to mind whilst lying in bed at 5am this morning.....Scorpy; Wombat and Mr Jones.

And the reason these thoughts crossed my mind at 5am this morning? Let me take you back to yesterday evening...

I was chatting to a friend of mine who was showing me a message about the water being cut off in Ortigas and the surrounding vicinity, we checked the areas listed and the hallowed ground of Wack Wack was not included. So we got chatting about water shortages, brown outs...the usual stuff! I mentioned that since I had been here I had not experienced a power cut at all..contrary to what I had been told to expect; and as a result had never used the numerous torches, candles etc dotted around the house.

I woke up at 5am this morning and realised that it was incredibly quiet in the house...an eerie silence punctuated by the wind wuthering through the window cracks...and I realised that my air con was off. I sat up and looked across the room at the air con and Chairman Mao was sitting right in front of it with his head cocked to one side looking quizzically at the noisy beast that had been silenced....yes, we had a power cut.

From this I can only draw one conclusion: it is official - I have the kiss of death!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post. For the benefit of your loyal west-coast American surfer dudes, could you enlighten us as to the meaning of 'wuther' or its present participle? Sounds like an onomatopoeia, but maybe not.

Come to think of it, I always accepted 'Wuthering Heights' as a British expression, but never wondered what the hell 'wuthering' meant.

Fred Jacobsen
San Francisco

P.S. Your links to good kissing are appreciated. Don't get me started, however, on the gobsmacks that pass for kissing today.

12:59 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

Fred: Straining my brain back to English Lit classes. I think (?)wuther comes from 'whither', which was apparently an old English or Scottish word meaning 'to blow or bluster'.
However, personally I prefer the thought that "wuthering" is onomatopoeic, it is just such a romantic description of the sound that the wind makes.

Quoting directly from the great book itself...

''Wuthering' being a significant provincial adjective, descriptive of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed in stormy weather.'.

(Now I realise why my English teacher told me that learning these quotes would come in useful in later on!!!!!)

The wind is wuthering here in Manila thanks the effects of the outer bands of Tropical Storm Caloy, which by the looks of things by the time it reaches HKG could be Typhoon Chanchu!

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Reginald said...

I suppose everyone must browse on this.
car emergency kit | yellow flats

4:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home