Sunday, December 11, 2005

It was a hot, dull day in December and the clocks were striking thirteen. *

I am finding that one of the hardest things to adjust to in Manila is the lack of winter...for the first time in 18 years I am having a 'warm winter'....it is not good for the brain...

Gone are the years growing up on and around the equator where Christmas was warm and winter was something we didn't really think about...I am now so conditioned that Christmas decorations means cold weather...and my body thermometer is now completely confused...I should be wrapped up in at least a jacket and scarf by this time...ideally with big woolly boots and mittens (that would be either Jordan or the 590 bus from South Horizons at 5:30am during the winter), the marble tiles in my living room should be so cold that slippers are necessary...hot water bottles should be being dusted off in preparation for incessant use come January...

Every time I go to leave a building and walk outside I brace myself hoping that this will be the time that I breath in fresh, crisp, cool air (I must be seriously losing the plot here!)...but one of my colleagues told me it does get cold in Manila...am beginning to think that our definitions of cold are poles apart!! The temperature at the moment is 28 degrees...even if we just knocked off 10 degrees I would be happy...after a little research it seems that the lowest temperature I could ever hope for is 21 degrees...

It looks as if my large collection of boots, coats, scarves etc will have to stay in cupboard until such time as I venture to cooler climes...

And reading this post from Imagethief doesn't help matters....


* with apologies to George Orwell!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home