Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A hangover, a rally and some reading material...

Monday being my day off, it was the normal rushing around trying to get stuff done...unfortunately the majority of it being done with the hangover from hell - note to self...do not, I repeat, do not mix your drinks ever again - anyway, more on that in my next post...

the rushing around included time (and money) spent at Fully Booked (no surprises there!) and pictured below is my haul from my time there - two things spring to mind...the first being - when am I going to find the time to read them all, secondly, I now need a third bookcase for my apartment as the other two are completely full and I now have three seperate piles of books around the apartment that need a home before they get mauled by the moggies.


Dinner at Teak again...just so unimaginative I know...but I know it's good food and they didn't let me down - but will someone please tell me why waiters in Manila do not tell you what is not available on the menu when they present it to you...instead of after you have deliberated for 10 minutes, can just about taste what you want to order and then...."sorry, that's not available"...I guess I am just unlucky - but it happens every bloody time...

My mother surpassed herself the other day...apparently one of my ex-boyfriends is getting divorced, I told my brother because there was an anecdote to go with the story that I thought would interest him, he then told my mother, who apparently said "So, would Madame Chiang be interested in him again"....when will she ever learn - wedding bells and I do not go together!

Demonstrations in Hong Kong at the weekend...as normal there is a huge discrepancy in the numbers that showed up demanding universal suffrage...the police and govt. say that about 3 people showed up...and the demonstration organisers and participants say hundreds of thousands - ok, slight exaggeration...but you get the general idea. From The Standard.
"The mass protest in which 250,000 people marched peacefully for universal suffrage, is the pride of Hong Kong people. We are all thrilled at the show of determination. We are committed to opposing the government proposals and fighting for universal suffrage," Ng said.

Other observers have issued a wide range of crowd estimates.

Students under Hong Kong University's Public Opinion Programme made a preliminary estimate of 80,000 to 100,000 while Hong Kong University's actuary lecturer Paul Yip put the figure at 60,000 to 80,000.


Anson Chan took part in the rally on Sunday, that in itself, is a fairly strong signal that they mean business - whether our friends in high and Northern places will pay any attention is anyone's guess. Whilst on the subject of Anson Chan...she really reminds me of Bagpuss...no idea why!



Also, in the news...skiing in Dubai, I remember in 1977 when my birthday outing was to an ice-carnival in Dubai - the first time that they had ever had an ice-rink...and it kept melting (well it was in a tent in the middle of the desert!) but still it just shows that Dubai will always be one step ahead.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Horace said...

Thank you for this post, really effective piece of writing.
new homes in Stouffville | home builders luxury | eyebrow rings

5:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home