Friday, June 22, 2007

Chairman Mao

About nine years ago whilst standing outside Sogo in Causeway Bay, a little black and white kitten stuck his little scrawny head out of a garbage bin and started squeaking at me. As I was in the market for a cat and was planning to visit the RSPCA the next day to adopt a cat, I thought this black and white bundle of fur was a perfect choice.

So Chairman Mao moved into my Discovery Bay apartment. Due my long hours at work and his rather affectionate character, Chairman Mao started to suffer from seperation anxiety and so needed a friend. A return visit to the garbage can behind Sogo found another bundle of fluff who joined us, enter Chiang Kai-shek!

Chairman Mao and Chiang Kai-shek have joined me moving house in Disco Bay, joined me in Jordan, came back to Hong Kong and made it to Manila! Unfortunately only two of us will be moving to Bangkok. Unfortunately, after a period of being really ill, Chairman Mao died on Wednesday morning.

My little black and white bundle of fluff that followed me around the house, slept across the top of my pillow every night, sat at the end of the shower every morning, 'mothered' endless foster street cats in Hong Kong and watched endless TV with me, been in endless scrapes and adventures and generally been my comfort for the last nine years....has left us.

So now its just Chiang Kai-shek and I against the world.



Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

So sorry to hear about Chairman Mao, Madame Chiang. My condolences.

4:52 am  
Blogger Mia said...

Very very sorry, but you gave him a wonderful life, he traveled the world much more than many people who hang out behind Sogo and he was loved.

~hugs~

11:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope it was not the pollution of manila that killed him. :)

sorry to hear about your cat. he will sorely missed, i'm sure.

6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such sad news, but I enjoyed reading about the good times you two shared with each other. In the end I suppose it was for the best – he doesn’t have to suffer any more.

Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another. ~Irving Townsend

There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat. ~Tay Hohoff

You cannot look at a sleeping cat and feel tense. ~Jane Pauley

If cats could talk, they wouldn't. ~Nan Porter

Plenty more at http://www.quotegarden.com/cats.html

8:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. So sorry to hear about Chairman Mao but as someone said, he did have a good life and you can take some consolation in that. But it's always difficult when a friend passes away esp when it's someone that close to you. I know you'd be the last person (next to Torn) to believe this but I took some comfort when after our first cat died, my sister texted from the Uk saying, "I do believe cats have souls and that your souls will meet again someday".

6:47 am  
Blogger Paul said...

RIP Chairman Mao!

9:19 pm  
Blogger Indiana said...

Sorry to hear that, but glad at least the two of you are moving to BK.

E@L and I will be in BK next week...a shopping trip made up of too many DVD's, and my need for a new tux.

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Those of us who have (and love) pets, never can forget them even after their departure.

I have lost many great dogs to nature, but they still live in my heart.

I am sure Chairman Mao will live in your heart forever.

Ciao!

6:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home