Thursday, February 01, 2007

How not to treat your first ever tourist....

On my many (and climbing) visits to Cebu I try to make it to at least one historic/cultural/educational location each time...this trip I finally (and I emphasis finally, because this place is just at the end of the road where I normally stay!) made it to Magellan's Shrine...








So this is where, the first man to circumnavigate the globe (albeit not all at once) met an untimely end....it's rather unfortunate really....here is the first real tourist that the Philippines has ever had...and they finish him off in a rather gruesome way. Not really something you can use for the DOT's next advertising campaign! But the guy responsible for killing Magellan has been honoured with city being named after him...and it seems a fish!!!




Past the shrine was something else I wanted to see up close and personal....about 7 or 8 months back the Big Foot studios put in an ostrich run.... with 5 ostriches....it really is quite cruel to put so many big birds in such a small enclosure...but they seem happy enough and almost tame - although I won't be sticking my fingers anywhere near the wire, any time soon!! They really are quite the strangest birds!!





Although I was down there for four days this time, I really didn't do anything too stressful other than read copious amounts and periodically move from the apartment to the pool and back again! Saturday night was the 'late night' out...going back to this grill restaurant I really like; Koana Grill.... a friend's son's 16th birthday party...how old did that make me feel....unfortunately by 2am I had been so badly bitten by something hanging around my left ankle I was scratching furiously and decided it was time to leave....so on to almost my favourite part of all trips to Cebu now...a late night visit to Abuhan restaurant..... Now the thing is here, I don't really eat the food, I just scoop up all the gravy from the sizzling pochero....I can't even begin to tell you how good it is....as soon as anyone mentions Cebu I can almost taste this gravy.... Addictive? I think so!!!! In my considered opinion the gravy at the first Abuhan is better than Abuhan Dos....but I'll need to go back and keep assessing it!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy...

Makes me want to follow in Magellan's footsteps.w

5:09 am  
Blogger expat@large said...

So long as you get rabies shots...

11:32 am  
Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

Last December, I read "Over the Edge of the World" which gives a great perspective on the magnitude of Magellan's achievement. Highly recommended.

7:23 am  
Anonymous Abner said...

It won't succeed as a matter of fact, that's what I believe.
ford dealers in houston | pregnancy announcement cards | Riviera Maya Resorts

6:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home