Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year's Day - Manila Style.....

I know I was warned...but still...going home from work last night at about 1:15am was like driving through down town Beirut at the height of the violence....not a single car on the road, save mine...which should have spelt out trouble from the start...the air was filled with a thick, acrid haze and noise from the constant fire crackers and fire works was quite unbelievable...as were the kids standing by the road throwing the firecrackers at the car as I drove past...and I have been assured that each year the situation is improving with less fire crackers and less accidents...hmmm...

I cannot believe the attitude of people here to firecrackers and fireworks...when I eventually got home last night there were kids as young as three, outside my building playing with fireworks with no adult supervision...horrified doesn't even begin to describe what I felt... It all makes me incredibly grateful for the HKG government's ban on personal fireworks...Having spent too long in countries where loud explosions are something to be really frightened of, adding in my naturally nervous disposition...the last few days and nights have not been enjoyable..

Fortunately I was fairly exhausted last night so going to sleep even with the rockets and crackers exploding around the building (including the idiot who kept setting them off from his balcony about four floors up from me) was fairly easy - ....what was really bad was the cats claws sticking into my shoulder every time a cracker exploded really loudly from our building...my shoulder looks like a pin cushion.

When the alarm went off at 5:45am (I love my job at moments like that!) the first thought I had was that something was on fire...even the air in my apartment was filled with the haze from the fireworks...going out onto the street to find a taxi (not a chance!) the streets were still deserted, the air still thick with smoke and the streets strewn with thousands and thousands of bits of paper - remnants from the crackers...and every so often another loud explosion - someone still having toys to play with...

And this from the SCMP(subscription required)
In the Philippines, officials were threatening to arrest anyone who set off powerful fireworks or fired guns, to try to prevent the deaths and injuries that accompany New Year's Eve festivities every year. Already, two people had died from guns fired in celebration, and two people from accidentally eating a popular candy-looking sparkler.

And to give you some idea of the air quality this morning with the firework haze...






Now all I need is to go home to sleep...but I can't see that happening until about 10pm...

6 Comments:

Blogger Skippy-san said...

Happy New Year and here is hoping 2006 is everything you want it to be!

Please keep blogging. Your stories from Manila remind me of the things I need to be thankful for!

1:16 pm  
Blogger expat@large said...

Wee-hee! Firecrackers are fun! Let's all blow our hands off!

Only about a million million of them here in Phuket... crackcrackcrack all night long...

7:33 pm  
Blogger expat@large said...

Oh, and "sawasdee pee moy!"

E@L

7:34 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

Happy New Year to both of you...

Skippy San, not to sure how your latter comment makes me feel!!!!

E@L, sounds as if you have had a fun time in Phuket!!!

10:41 am  
Blogger Skippy-san said...

Take it as a compliment and also, I don't think I could live in Manila. I could live in Hong Kong though so whenever you write about Hong Kong, I find it so interesting.

10:53 am  
Anonymous Donald said...

Wow, there is a great deal of useful data above!
dancing | online Christmas cards | Midland real estate

5:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home