Saturday, December 17, 2005

Sherbet Dib-Dabs...

I am developing a certain loathing for the taxis in this city...if it is not the contstant asking for money over and above the meter; excuses so far:

It's late
It's raining
There's heavy traffic (when isn't there?)
Your destination is out of my way
My meter is running slow
You have shopping
You are alone (like I'm not penalised enough for that by my mother!)
I let you in the taxi in an illegal place

- then it is the appalling state (and smell) of the taxis.

However, last night was the best yet....I had waited for about 45 minutes for a cab (there are never enough cabs in this city), eventually got one - went through the whole '30 pesos more because it's a month with a 'R' in it'...drove half way round the block slap bang into a traffic jam...whereupon the taxi driver says "I don't have enough gasoline so I drop you back where I picked you up"...my muttered sentiments would have made a sailor blush....

Most of the taxis seem to drive around town with empty petrol tanks and then, when they pick up a passenger swerve into a petrol station at the first available opportunity and then proceed to leave the engine on whilst the tank is being filled and either have a quick cigarette or use a mobile phone - sometimes all three. Last week my taxi driver was instructed by the pump attendant to switch off his engine - when the driver refused the attendant refused to fill the taxi with petrol so the taxi driver (with me clinging to the back door) drove off at top speed (impressive for Manila!), muttering obscenities and generally not a happy camper.

I hear talk of the buses being regulated and the focus now moving onto the jeepneys...will someone please look at organising and standardising the taxis...just simple things like in HKG whereby the taxi drivers must carry change for HK$100, in Manila getting change from 100 pesos is a major feat...

And I take cold comfort in the fact that my local colleagues assure me that they also suffer the same fate with cabs here....

1 Comments:

Anonymous George said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.
here

12:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home