Sunday, September 04, 2005

Two days in London

Catching the train from deepest, darkest Sussex took me back to when I was about 16 and escaping from boarding school to Tunbridge Wells or even more exciting, London. Wadhurst was our local station and sitting on the station platform in the pouring train took me back a good 20 years to a group of girls over-excited at the prospect of a few hours of freedom!


One thing I love about traveling by train into London is the glimpses between buildings of buildings which are so iconic for London…..in this case, Tower Bridge….


And so to the John Ritblat collection at the British Library to pour over such delights as Scott’s last diary entry, letters from Elizabeth I, lyrics and doodles from the Beatles, The original ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and lots of other literary treasures…..


On to the Reading Room at the British Museum







St Paul's
....took these whilst the bells were ringing, in all the time I have spent in London I have never heard the bells being rung.






Temple Bar
a little history and a little commentary, personally I agree with the Guardian's comments...considering what a significant piece of history it is...it really is in the most awful place....


England's Warrior Queen Boudicea


And to Vinopolis for dinner at
Cantina
….as one would expect for a restaurant like this….the wine list was extensive…as were the wines on the blackboards!





And finally, looking across the Thames to St. Paul’s at night….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home