Sunday, June 19, 2005

Owner of a broken heart....

Yesterday evening I went to a colleague's wedding...by normal wedding standards this was a particularly lively affair...there will be a few people roaming around their apartments today with rather heavy heads...including, no less, the groom's mother...she gets full credit for being able to down Carlsberg and red wine at some speed and in great quantities....very impressive for such an elegant lady!

When I got home I called a friend of mine overseas and we got chatting about weddings(as you do)and the like....and we got onto the subject of love, divorce and broken hearts....she asked if I had ever had my heart broken..it's actually a pretty tough question to answer - does the sadness, anger and depression you feel after a relationship ends amount to a broken heart? How is a broken heart defined?

After we had discussed some definitions and the like, I admitted that I had had my heart broken, once, - actually it was more than broken...I think the words shredded, ground and shattered would describe it better...

In all fairness to the man who broke my heart...I had done the same to him about 8 years before....karma I guess....neither of us did it on purpose...timing, place and general confusion would explain both of our actions...

Has my heart healed? Partially...although everyso often it crumbles again...mainly if I see too much DC scenery on television...place association is a strong thing for me...

Having said that, my desk mug is from the Library of Congress in DC and serves as a constant reminder of an emotionally draining 8 days, when I fell over the other day with my mug of tea and burnt myself...the mug also hit the deck pretty hard...but it survived with a chip out of the base...and is still workable....a pretty good metaphor I would say....