Tuesday, February 08, 2005

How I know it is Chinese New Year

After enjoying a few Chinese New Years in Hong Kong I have come to recognise the signs that the air will soon be filled with the sound of Kung Hei Fat Choy and the rustling of new notes.....my list of signs are as follows (in no particular order):

My colleagues all have their hair cut...male colleagues very short, female colleagues just a tad shorter than normal

The security guards in my building suddenly become my best friends

It is impossible to manouevre in any grocery store without knocking over a huge mountain of boxes of brightly (normally gold and red) wrapped chocolates - Ferrero Rocher are the main culprits

The price of fresh flowers could almost be listed on the world's gold market index

All the $20 notes disappear or only the oldest and mankiest are left in circulation

Wellcome starts to offer a gift wrapping service

Getting around Central by foot, taxi or bus becomes almost acceptable

The weather becomes damp and a little chilly, the sky becomes grey and murky

The laundry shop across the street from me becomes inundated with piles of laundry and (it seems to me) they work all day and overnight for about 3 days

.............Any other personal insights would be gratefully received!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home