Sunday, October 30, 2005

It can get worse....

a few things I learnt last night...

a)the majority of shops in Manila that sell lights...don't sell light bulbs.

b)MegaMall is one hell of a long mall..particularly when you hike up and down 6 times in an hour, in high heels with a deep cut on one foot(after dropping a bookcase on it!)

c)pet stores here are for dogs...not cats...however, a kitchen sieve makes an ok substitute for a cat litter scoop.

d)there are only two organised taxi ranks in the world...the first is at Changi airport arrival, the second at the Central Star Ferry terminal - MegaMall could learn from these two places...

e)cats don't like spending the day wading around in an inch of water - although it does make for brief human entertainment to watch them try...

f)it takes about 5 hours to clean up a flat's worth of flooded water

g)a can of cold San Miguel beer is an excellent substitute for dinner

h)generally, shop assistants here are very helpful and willing to fetch and carry....last night I spent the equivalent of about HK$800 in one shop and for that they dispatched two guys to help me to the taxi rank..they then waited in line with me and made sure all my stuff fitted in the taxi...

i)the majority of the time I enjoy being single - I value the freedom and the peace and quiet...however, the last couple of days it would have been nice to have a man around to help fetch, carry and fix - and just generally be around to share the joys of the last few days!!


And the final thing I learnt last night was that the reason that I like Ikea is simply down to the fact that whatever you need you can take home with you...you don't need to wait for delivery - which satisfies my "instant gratification" streak....and...most importantly, they sell lights AND lightbulbs.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman with an instant gratification streak...that can't be right...

So Manila is turning into an adventure...isn't that a good thing.

11:24 am  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

instant gratification...comes down to a serious lack of patience when trying to achieve certain things...nothing more!!!

An adventure...I guess that's one way of describing in...although I prefer my adventures to involve things a little more out of the ordinary than moving house!!! A little more jungle/desert involved would be better!

5:18 pm  
Blogger DickStock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:25 pm  
Blogger DickStock said...

"the majority of the time I enjoy being single - I value the freedom and the peace and quiet...however, the last couple of days it would have been nice to have a man around to help fetch, carry and fix - and just generally be around to share the joys of the last few days!!"

YIPES!

Run Away, Run Away....!

11:27 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

ah...don't be so chicken!! I was joking anyway...!

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get as many helpers as you like extraordinarily cheap. Just ask your agent.

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home