Sunday, July 17, 2005

My first word in Tagalog...

Reading the paper yesterday about the 'latest' conversation recording...this one between former President Joseph Estrada and the former Chief of Staff for the Armed Forces...the conversation apparently centres on the possibility of assasinating 'Pandak' and eliminating someone else (sorry can't be clearer but don't have the newspaper article to hand). Now, allegedly pandak means 'dwarf' (pls correct me if I am wrong!) so no prizes as to who is being referred to!

I still remember my first two Cantonese phrases...the first..for diet coke...the second...well will put the phonetic Cantonese in the interests of politeness...'Dar Fei Guy' (excuse the spelling..probably totally wrong!) .....literally translates as 'shooting airplanes'...sure you can figure that one out!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave and Stefan said...

Dear Madame Chiang,

I shan't speculate on the context of your first Cantonese conversation, but for the record I consider him a cad and a very forward one to suggest that after having just gotten you a diet coke!:) Just kidding, I'm sure you've been taught these useful phrases by some old China Hands...

1:58 pm  
Blogger Madame Chiang said...

actually it was a woman who taught me that one!! But I just love the word 'cad' I haven't heard that used for ages...it really is so descriptive!!

I would like to point out that my present knowledge of Cantonese is now more refined! However have one very funny story to tell about unintentionally speaking Cantonese...will write it up tonight.

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alas, I've tagged you for one of those book baton thingies :)

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Gervase said...

Well, I do not actually imagine it is likely to have success.
butternut squash soup | conception date | furniture stores Tampa

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Melvin said...

Quite useful piece of writing, thanks for this post.
medical transportation | chevy dealers | onesie pajamas for adults

3:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home