Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mothers....

As I get older and remain "without sprog"....I realise that more and more of my previously "sprogless" friends are giving in to the call of nature. Parenthood still does not appeal to me in a big way...

A few days ago, Kate mentioned a similar vein of thought, even more surprising, given that she is a kindergarden teacher and therefore should be skipping down the path to motherhood....I must say I admire all those involved in children's education (children of any age!) and think that teaching (at least for me!) would be an excellent form of contraception.

Today on the Guardian blog there is a post called Rise of the smug parents. I am sure all we childless people have come across smug parents...."you don't know what you are missing", "your life will be more complete when you have a child"..and so on ad nauseam...I must say that I find comments like these intensely patronising... I enjoy my life (ok - more money, more travel and Chris Noth might make it even more fun!), I value my freedom and my independence and my free time and am still not in a mental position to change all that.

Next time someone makes a comment about having children, I think I may start up a HK chapter of No Kidding....but for obvious reasons, not in Discovery Bay!

On the other side of the coin...I read a post today from A cat named Pi, this lady has a 20 year old son and she is really not that much older than I am....at the age of 17 I was still messing around at school and contemplating 'A' levels...it seems she has had a challenging time of motherhood but has enjoyed it and feels that she has done the best she possibly could - which, in all honesty, is all any of us ask of our mothers. I cannot begin to comprehend how she feels knowing that her son is joining the army and in all reality may be sending time in the future in Iraq. I send her a long distance "Happy Mother's Day" Greeting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Chiang said...

I know what you mean....I have recently heard an ex-colleague of mine telling me that she is about to become a full time mother due to move overseas and she is not looking forward to spending all day with her child as she finds him irritating.....

7:27 pm  
Anonymous Eugene said...

To my mind one and all must browse on it.
Collingwood homes

10:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home