Monday, March 28, 2005

Be prepared for change.....

At the tender age of 10, I announced to my mother that I never wanted to have children and never intended to get married...here I am 25 years later and still a strong believer in those two statements....or at least I was until two Sunday's ago at the sevens....

I don't like children, they are too unpredictable, too demanding, too time consuming and I am too selfish...I have never seen the appeal of little kids in cute outfits saying cute things and doing cute things...it just doesn't do anything for me. Numerous friends have said that this will change with time, as I get older etc etc...well it hasn't - at least until Sunday 20th March it hadn't.

The 20th March will go down in history for me as the day I got my first maternal pang...seeing Waisele Serevi walking around the stadium with his son up on his shoulders was for me a maternal twitch..at that second I could see what it was all about. No, I am not about to run out and start breeding but it has put a seed of doubt in my mind that maybe I shouldn't close off all of life's possibilities.

Now to the idea of marriage...again something that I have avoided (sometimes quite dramatically!) up to now, not because I don't believe in the ideals of marriage...more because I believe in them too much. I know that I get bored easily, I know I need constant entertainment and challenges and I have always figured that if I do get married it should be later in life so I have less opportunity to get bored and hopefully will have got a lot of my adventures out of my system.

My thoughts on marriage were tweaked yesterday when reading the reports of Jim Callaghan's death , I saw that his wife had died just 11 days before him and they had been married for 67 years. Now that in itself is a challenge and an adventure and I realise that I will never now have that opportunity to share my life with the same person for such a huge amount of time (a life time for a lot of people).

Do I regret the decisions in life that I have made thus far? No, not at all.

Would I change any of my decisions? No.

Have I done a little soul searching and realised that maybe there are two things in life I shouldn't close off any more?Damn Straight.

So, where do I go from here....!!?? Answers on a postcard to....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home